Thursday, December 13, 2012

Speaking at John Jay College


  Good morning to all. Today I'm blessed to talk about a speaking tour that a few of us from Friends of Island Academy did at John Jay College. We spoke at Mrs. Judith Wallen an MRT facilitator  at Friends of Island Academy and a Professor at John Jay College. I got a chance to speak in front the college students about my life experience. I went on to tell them what led me to become a student then employee at Friends. They were very appreciative and supportive.  I talked about my battle with drug addiction and how I am striving every day to stay drug free.After talking about my situation one of her students approached me, he related with my experience saying that he is also fighting the same battle and asked for advice on how I remain on my path. I told him how I keep myself  busy doing multiple things whether its reading, writing, sketching or exercising there is always something to do to keep yourself occupied. After our discussion I realized there are other people going through the same struggle. I knew i was not alone and it made me appreciate what I'm striving for everyday. 

John J. Student Judith Wallen, Anthony De Jesus
 

No comments:

Post a Comment